Friday, June 26, 2009

Chocolate Chunk Caramel Brownies

This is a recipe from my life-long friend Mary Dean. She is the ultimate baker. I mean ultimate baker. (This is just one of the reasons I'm happy we're friends!) I pulled out this recipe to bake and bring to a dinner party this coming weekend. When I was talking to Mary about it she reminded me the first time I had these brownies. She had made them and after a few bites I said, "These are so rich. This might be the first brownie I can't finish." Well, I believe I did finish it but it took a long time. This would be a good brownie to serve with vanilla ice cream or serve many people with smaller cut portions.

4 squares Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 (14oz) package caramels
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 cups pecans (or walnuts)
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Line 9x13 pan with foil and generously grease foil. Preheat oven to 350.
Microwave chocolate squares and butter on high for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until completely melted. Stir in sugar until blended. Mix in eggs and flour. Spread half of batter into foiled & greased pan. Bake for 25 minutes until firm to the touch.
Microwave caramels and cream until caramels begin to melt. Stir until smooth.
Stir in 1 cup nuts and spread caramel/nut mixture over brownie.
Sprinkle half of chocolate chunks on top of caramel layer.
Pour remaining brownie batter evenly over top then add layer of nuts and chunks.
Bake additional 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
Cool on wire rack and remove from pan & peel foil.

Makes 24 very rich and delicious brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment